In the book The Mountain Bike Challenge children will read about Myra Moller. The will follow her journey as she trains for a 30 kilometre mountain bike race. Then they will take the journey with Myra as she competes in the mountain bike race which goes through dense forest, over rocks, through streams, mud and up and down huge hills.
The features of this book are:
- Labelled diagrams
- A cross section of the terrain
- Family photographs
- Images that suggest motion
- Photo montages
- Quotes from the subject
- A map of the whole race course
- The author’s commentary on the race.
The Mountain Bike Challenge can be used to introduce and reinforce the following skills:
- Establishing a purpose for reading a text
- Discussing the effect of images
- Analysing the writer’s style
- Interpreting maps and cross sections
- Presenting information in different formats
- Recognising and retelling events in sequence.
Themes covered in this book are: Challenge, Sports
Reading Level:27-28 (Ruby)
Guided Reading Level27
GenreProcedure | Recount
Theme/TopicChallenge | Leisure and Recreation | Sports
Strategy/SkillsComprehension strategies | Using graphic sources | Writer's craft